Thursday, June 19, 2008

Country Dreams

I lived in a small town until I was 10. After my parents divorced, I moved to a city. I've always liked living in a city. I have so many things right out my front door. I can walk to a pharmacy, a convenience store and a department store, all within in blocks of my house. If I'm having a really bad day, I can go to the lounge right next door. I'm kidding. I could, but that's not my idea of bad-day relief. If I need bad-day relief, I'd probably go to the convenience store for chocolate. I love that I can drive a mile and be at the grocery store to pick up milk and $20 of things we didn't need while I'm there. I love that we have access to all sorts of entertainment, restaurants, parks, and paved bike trails. That's all good stuff. However, I'm finding myself yearning for something that I can't get in my city.

I want space. I want to walk out my front door and not see several other houses. I want to open the windows at night and not hear vehicles buzzing by or sirens wailing. I want to go outside to play with the kids and have space to run, ride bikes, and play baseball. I want to sit outside at night with my hubby and look at the millions of stars in the sky. I'm yearning for a little bit of country.

This dream has been in my heart for quite a while. I used to think that I wouldn't like being in the country because I liked to be close to the action. But, that's changing as I get older. My desires are different now. There is just something about wide open spaces that brings me such a peaceful feeling. I'm ready to break away from the noise and busyness of city life and find myself a quiet spot.

Aaron and I have talked about this for a while. He probably had this dream before I did. It's not going to happen right away, but it's definitely something we want to explore. Until then, it's kind of fun to dream of the possibilities. A cute little house with a nice big porch, a long gravel driveway, lots of trees and open space, and of course, 2 little dachshund puppies to play in the yard! Sweet, sweet dreams. They make me smile.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

saw your comment on Pete Wilson's blog. love your husband's rmnpforums website. that site has been a lifesaver in planning 3 RMNP trips.

Lori Leigh said...

I have those exact same dreams! We are currently moving to Texas and it is really hard because I really want a big nice yard now... with a pygmy goat.. and a couple dogs... but it probably won't happen this time around...but a girl can still dream....