Saturday, December 15, 2007

A Birthday Party

Daughter had a birthday party last night. She will be 7 on December 19th. I think she's been talking about her Birthday party since March. Who will come? What will we do? How many people can she invite? Finally, in June, I told her we would have to wait until November 1st to talk anymore about her Birthday. Frankly, I can't think that many months in advance!

About the middle of November, I told her I thought that we would have a smaller birthday party this year. I told her that she could have a few friends for a slumber party. When I said smaller, I was thinking maybe 3 friends. Or 6. Whatever works. :)

So yesterday evening about 6:00pm, her friends began arriving. I put the pizza in the oven and let them make foam door hangers with foam stickers on them. The girls sat on a large picnic blanket and devoured their pizza and pop. There was definitely a buzz of excitement in the air! We had birthday cookie and Daughter opened her gifts. They ran, laughed, screamed, and played. My husband chased them around the house and then let them put makeup and even kiddie fingernail polish all over his face. My best friend came over with her two children to help keep me and Hubby sane and she painted all the girls fingernails. Then, we had a limousine take us around to look at Christmas lights. Honestly, I'm not really sure how many Christmas lights the kids saw, but they had fun being silly in the limo! After the limo ride, the girls played some more and watched High School Musical 2. A little before midnight, the girls all got settled in their sleeping bags on the living room floor, said their prayers, and giggled a lot. I turned down all the lights and opened my laptop to read my daily blogs. By the time I finished my reading, the girls were all sleeping soundly. I took my tired body to bed.

About 8:00 this morning, I began to hear little girl voices. I got up and made a breakfast of chocolate chip muffin cake, bananas, and milk. The girls got dressed, gathered their things, and then watched more High School Musical while dancing and singing along. Moms began showing up around 10 to claim their little girls.

I was pretty nervous about how well a slumber party with 7 girls who were mostly 6 & 7-year-olds would go. Really, once I got past the loudness, it was great! The girls had such a great time, everyone got along very well, and they were very polite and respectful. I was very thankful for my husband who entertained the girls so well, and for my friend, D, who came to keep my sanity in place. All-in-all, it was a great party, and I'll do it again sometime.

Daughter, I hope you had a really, really wonderful time! You have some really precious friends.

No comments: